After calling a plumber and the insurance company, we concluded that there was a leaking pipe beneath our house and we would have to drill holes in our slab foundation to locate the leak. But, wait it gets better... insurance WILL NOT cover work done on foundation ( or damage caused by) unless we had an additional clause to our policy ( of course we don't ). FABULOUS!
Side note: Chris found out many insurance companies in Texas require this separate clause to the policy, so you may want to check yours, especially if you have a slab foundation.
The water was getting worse. So after work, Chris decided to start pulling up the floors at 10pm and finished at 3am. Poor guy. It was VERY loud and messy, and Josh slept through everything. I was so surprised by this so I went in his nursery to make sure he was breathing. He was. The amount of water under the floor was unbelievable!!!! It must have been leaking for a while. The VERY GOOD news is that when we pulled out the refrigerator we found the leak coming from the wall and not the foundation therefore, insurance will cover this whole mess! Yeah!!! Thank you LORD!
We knew insurance would have to replace the floors in the kitchen, but we were hoping and praying they would agree to replace the rest of the hardwoods since they flow together and it would be hard to match the old floors exactly. On Thursday, I was waiting for the adjuster to come and I was very nervous and scared of him. I have heard horror stories. Thankfully, he was very nice and really seemed to want to help us and not short change us. It may have helped his wife was a nurse and Josh gave him BIG grins. He said we definitely need new HW floors throughout the house and then he went into the kitchen to check everything in there. Chris and I did not see any damage apart from the floors because the water was UNDER the floor boards, but he had to check anyway. After a few minutes I went back to the kitchen and the insurance guy had this crazy weird look on his face. He looked up at me and said, " we need to get a water extraction company here within the hour. I think you're going to need a new kitchen." WHATTTTTT???? Sure enough, the water extraction crew came a few hours later and used their fancy machines and located moisture in all the cabinets. So, we have to get all new cabinets from the counter top down. CRAZY! Everyone is like, " that is great, a new kitchen, how fun!" All I can think of is how to care for a creeping crawly baby while my house is being torn apart. Oh, and not to mention that I am hosting two fairly large parties at my house in two weeks. I know it will all work out and be fabulous in the end, but it's stressing me out a bit. I am excited to get new floors. I will have to find soft shoes for the dogs paws. Hee Hee, that just made me laugh to think about them prancing around the house in shoes. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure of what we are doing in ALL that spare time we have.
BEFORE:
(pretty)
AFTER:
(disaster)
No comments:
Post a Comment