Sunday, October 21, 2007

Biology 101



Today, I realized we have many living things around our house. In fact, it will be easy for Josh to make straight A's in Biology Class in a few years, if only he will explore the house. I may even write a children's book based on the interactions we've had with different animals today.......






Josh at the Arboretum Pumpkin Patch.



JOSHUA
Species: Animal / Genus: Homosapien



PUMPKIN



Species: PLANT / Genus: Cucurbita
________________________________________________




VIRUS:


The word is from the Latin "virus" referring to poison and other noxious substances.


This may explain why Josh and I are feeling as though we have been poisoned. We have both come down with, yet ANOTHER viral cold. Fun, Fun, Fun.



_____________________________________________________






GECKO



Species: Animal / Class: Reptile




This little guy (and his friends) have been seen scurrying all over our house this weekend. They were not invited to the baby shower I helped host at my house yesterday, but they showed up anyway. The real fun begins when one of these guys catch Murphy or Jackson's eye. The food chain at it's best.

________________________________________________________




SQUIRREL


Species: Animal / Phylum: Chordata


About a month ago, I was in our bedroom and Josh was asleep in his crib. I was relaxing and enjoying the afternoon when all of a sudden I hear scratching and tapping from the wall between Josh's room and our room. " Darn it, he sure didn't nap for long." I walked into Josh's room and he was sound asleep in one of his precarious positions. Humm?? I forgot about it, until it happened again the next day and the next day. Okay, enough!! There is a LARGE animal living in my walls- something had to be done! I called my pest control guy (on speed dial in my cell) and he came out the next day. Sure enough.... there is a squirrel living in our wall. I can't tell you the relief when he told me it was not a possum (marsupial) or a rat (rodent). So, naturally we named our new squirrel friend who took up residence in our wall. Fred functioned on a schedule much like ours. In the morning we would hear him getting ready for a day filled with eating nuts and chasing his friends from tree to tree. In the evening, I could imagine the taps and little noises being him and his lady friend enjoying a nice nut or maybe some lettuce they found in my trash.



Today, Chris decided it was time for Fred to move out and find his own place. So, Chris went into the attic while Fred was running around the hood. Chris found that Fred was probably just tapping and playing with one of the pipes that lead down the wall between our bedrooms. I just hope Fred gets sick of that game, because he wakes Josh up from his morning nap almost everyday. BAD FRED!

Fred, you are SO busted!!!!


_____________________________________________________




MURPHY & JACKSON


Species: Animal / Genus: Canine
After the squirrel flushing, we took the mini homosapien and the canines to the dog park. It was such a nice afternoon. Of course Josh and I stayed behind the fence (can't trust other canines) sneezing and sniffing the whole time. This is the best picture I could get of both of them. They were on the move the entire time.

_____________________________________________________




LIZARD
Species: Animal / Class: Tetrapod
You may remember a few months ago, we found a friendly frog suck in our back door. Today, we came home to find a lazy lizard basking in the sun. As I type this blog from a chair just a few feet away, he is still there enjoying the breeze. He occasionally peaks in on us as we enjoy Sunday afternoon football.



I hope your Sunday is filled with as many friends as ours is!





Note: I would like to thank Wikiepedia for making me look smarter than I am.

2 comments:

Sara Carolina said...

That's awesome. At least there weren't any of the Texas roaches or wasps as part of Josh's biology lesson today! Tell Fred that he needs to find a new pad.

Michelle {bsktgirl} said...

Oh my, Al! :) I enjoyed this one! You went to a lot of work compiling all this data!