
Yesterday, while I was running at the lake I spotted a lonely bluebonnet on the side of the trail. Poor little guy was begging for a picture, so I obliged. Blue is my favorite color, spring is my favorite season, and flowers (as long as I don't have to grow them) are one of my favorite things to look at. Seeing the Bluebonnets FINALLY bloom around Texas reminds me of my favorite bluebonnet story...
In March 2002, Chris and I got married and several of my Irish aunts, uncles, and cousins made the long journey to Austin to attend our wedding. In order to provide a proper Texas welcome, I put together welcome baskets to await their arrival in their hotel rooms. One of the many Texas-themed items I put in the basket was a packet of bluebonnet seeds.
Several months later, Chris and I moved to London for a semester. One weekend in October, we traveled up north to Newcastle to visit my Aunt Anna. When we arrived, she got ALLLLL excited and took us straight to her back patio without letting us even stop to put down our bags. She told us that she had planted the bluebonnet seeds months earlier and had noticed their stems growing thicker and stronger in the weeks proceeding our visit. The week of our visit, she said she "talked" to the bluebonnets, telling them that "The Texans are coming this week, so hurry on and bloom." Sure enough, all the convincing worked. Two days before we arrived, in the middle of October, in rainy Newcastle, England, her Texas Bluebonnets bloomed for the first time!!! It was like running into an old friend in an unexpected place.
1 comment:
Amen to Ahhh, Spring is here! The wild flowers here in the hill country have outdone themselves this year. Our trip to the coast this weekend was an awesome artistic blend of the most brilliant colors I have ever seen. Thanks for the blue bonnet story . . . I had forgotten. granee
Post a Comment