On Saturday, we participated in the Butterfly Boogie, a 5K race and 1K kid's walk benefiting The World Craniofacial Foundation . A group of friends from the neighborhood did the walk/run in honor of our sweet friend, John G, who was diagnosed with Crouzon Syndrome when he was just a year old. He is a gentle and precious boy who has been known to out smart me on many occasion during our weekly play date.
Rewind a few days, when we got all the kids together to decorate their race shirts...
Before the madness began.
Just after I took this picture, we stripped the kids to their skivies and let them go wild with puff paints. After I took off Josh's shirt and jeans, he proceeded to take off his undies right there in the middle of the kitchen with all 5 kids and 6 mommies watching. He ain't shy, that's for sure. The kids had so much fun decorating their shirts for the race. Josh enjoyed squeezing the entire contents of the paint tubes onto the shirt in one big blob. While the boys made paint bombs and the girls played in the glitter, the moms sipped on wine and ate warm cookies in between dodging paint splatters.
6 three-year olds and 20 tubes of puff paint is a very scary combination.
It was madness. Complete madness.
It was worth it. The final products...
Team John G. at the start line! As you can just imagine, this little group caused quite a scene with their matching T Shirts and adorable smiles. We are missing Luke in this picture, but he wasn't far behind as they took off running at the start of the "race."
As soon as the announcer said, "GO!" Josh was off!
John M. was definitely in it to win it. Although Josh was off to a good start, with a solid pace, he burned too much energy in the beginning of the race and plummeted later. A rookie mistake due to the adrenaline; happens to the best of us. By mid-"race" Josh was asking me and Chris to carry him. I told him that he had a number on his back, and he had to finish the race he started, even if it meant crawling over the finish line. For a minute, I thought he actually was going to start crawling, but luckily, he stayed upright and continued to run with his friends. 
Katie was already attached to him, so the poor thing was dragged along as Josh sprinted down the road. Of course, she was loving it as she giggled and skipped along on her tip toes. 

John M. was definitely in it to win it. Although Josh was off to a good start, with a solid pace, he burned too much energy in the beginning of the race and plummeted later. A rookie mistake due to the adrenaline; happens to the best of us. By mid-"race" Josh was asking me and Chris to carry him. I told him that he had a number on his back, and he had to finish the race he started, even if it meant crawling over the finish line. For a minute, I thought he actually was going to start crawling, but luckily, he stayed upright and continued to run with his friends. I love this picture, "Red Rover, Red Rover..."
My brave pal, Erin watched Josh for me while Chris and I ran the 5K race. There was a band performing at the race party and Josh quickly found his way to the music. Seemingly, Josh put on quite a show when the band played "Eight Days a Week." This is the story as I heard it when I finished my run, "As soon as Josh heard the band starting to play the Beatles' song, he walked, as if in a trance, right in front of the band. He stared at them, and then started playing air- guitar and singing Eight Days a Week." I have absolutely NO problem believing this story. Do you?
From the Butterfly Boogie Run, we boogied ourselves over to Mollie's house (another girlfriend from school) for her third birthday. She had a massive princess castle bounce house in the backyard and Josh couldn't have been happier to see it as we arrived... "A PRETTY PRINCESS BOUNCE HOUSE CASTLE, THAT'S AMAZING!!!!"
Let me explain this picture. We were in a MAJOR hurry to get cleaned up for Mollie's party after the run. I asked Chris to dressed Josh in something "presentable" while I showered. Chris did a great job of dressing Josh in a nice button down collared shirt, complete with a belt and a smooth hair do. He ran into my room and said, "Do I look presentable, Mommy?" He did. He was looking mighty fine, ladies.
Josh picked out some pretty flowers for Mollie. Once we were there, Josh found Mollie and bent down to hand them to her with a happy birthday wish. Mollie, in her sweet birthday dress, and Josh in his handsome outfit. It was PRECIOUS!!!! I think Mollie even blushed a little bit. I WILL be sure this little boy grows into a gentleman who knows how to treat a lady. Yes, indeed I will!



1 comment:
I guess Josh is taking from his marathon-running Mom....and Dad.
There might be a scholarship coming up in the distant future.
Great cause, and you all had a great day, it seems.
MeMe
Post a Comment