My apologies to those avid Mini-Baby Blog readers accustomed to a certain standard of creative genius and literary skill, but I'm commandeering the blog for this weekend to brag on Mini-Baby's Mommy.
For those who don't know, earlier this year, Alison decided to do something to which only the truly insane would subject themselves---I'm talking about running a MARATHON!! I had often wondered if she had a screw loose, and this seals it. She's CRAZY. . . or so I thought.
Turns out, she's a "natural runner," according to her coach, and she proved it this weekend. Although she's been training for several months now (and had already eclipsed the half-marathon mark in training a couple of times), Alison ran her first 20K race this weekend and did so with ease and style, as you can see:
Alison cresting the longest (if not the steepest) hill on the course, long after the first 10K.
Most of the runners we saw at this point were NOT smiling! She didn't look a bit more tired at the end!!
This was Al's first warm-up race for the full marathon in December, and she did AWESOME!!
Josh and I did our part to help Mommy out . . . by finding a nice spot on the course to SIT and WATCH. As you can see, we were prepared to cheer Alison and the Longhorns to victory on Saturday. Josh got us in the mood by humming "The Eyes of Texas" ALL morning!
One of the City's finest, who was directing race traffic, snapped this photo of Alison's #1 Fans. Josh seemed a bit perplexed about our purpose there that morning and was not as impressed as he normally would have been with the man with the badge and gun.

See. . . STYLE!!
I must admit, I was pretty proud of this sign and VERY proud of Al.
In her first officially-timed event, she finished in the top third of her age division! To someone who struggles to run 5Ks (see, me), she is nothing short of amazing!
As an added bonus, the start/finish line for the race was at the Arboretum, so we got some cute (and classic) photo's of the little man in his game-day attire.
Thankfully, we still have these sweet Joshua moments to make up for the increasing number of times he refuses to eat, sleep, keep his voice at a volume below ear-splitting . . . . To be fair, the sweet Joshua moments still far outnumber the less-than-sweet moments. He is such a trip!
To celebrate, Alison's accomplishment, we catered to a few of her indulgences:
a giant plate of powdered-sugar-and-syrup-covered French Toast,
some tasty meringues,
a Matt Damon movie with a pizza dinner,

(The Informant was both interesting and hilarious, and Al says that Matt Damon is still hot, even with the extra 30 pounds he gained for the role. I take comfort in the fact that at least once in the past 10 years, she's told me that I "kind of resemble" Matt Damon (plus at LEAST 30 pounds). I know better, but it's the thought, right?)
. . . and a LONGHORN VICTORY over the dirt burglars!
My favorite Longhorns!

9 comments:
Thanks for bragging on me, Chris! You are so very sweet to me. And the only reason I was smiling at the top of that killer hill was because you guys were there waiting for me.
Soooo, while I am at here at work, Chris has done the blog update, cleaned the kitchen, and done the laundry! What a man!!! Now, I wonder what I am going to do for the rest of the week?
Al.....Chris and Big Boy Josh.
Josh, you could have a job as one of those sign-holders....pizza, mortgage companies etc.
Chris, I always liked a man who "stands by his woman".
Al, you're a wonder! Stay strong.
Love you all,
MeMe and Barn in Kilkenny
P.S.
See you all soon....back on Wednesday...with my cold. Got you all some nice things.
MeMw
Way to go Alison!!! You running people amaze me. I wish I was one of them...but I think I'll just live vicariously through your successes, Al. And nice job, Chris. Your signs were awesome! You had the cutest cheering section, Alison!
Congrats A!! That is fantastic!! P.S. I forgive hubby for the "dirt burglars" comment. ;) ;)
Al is a natural runner! Who knew? I am jealous of your athletic prowess-- congratulations! MB and Josh did a great job cheering you on. I can't wait to do the same for the marathon in December!
a.m.a.z.i.n.g.
So proud of you! I only run if someone is chasing me!!!
Don't you think Matt Damon in that movie sorta looks like Bill, the dayshift RT, at work???
Al Brown you have style and grace! You are one hot mama and a great one too. I can't wait to cheer you on in December.
Chris, thanks for bragging on your wife. I love it. :)
So awesome. Well done. I love hte horns' visor. gotta get me one of those for poker night.
Post a Comment