Sunday, June 28, 2009

Feeling hot, hot, hot.


It is hot, folks. Summer has officially arrived and brought with it long, sweltering days that get quite painful around 4pm. We have been spending our time either submerged in water or inside with our favorite friend, the air conditioner. Josh has taken to being naked a lot when he wakes up from his nap. It makes sense to me, but he has also figured out how to take his diaper off, so the combo is not that fabulous, to be truthful.

As usual, Josh has been making me laugh with the randomness that comes out of his mouth. He loves things; big things, small things, living things, inanimate things, he loves it all. "I LOVE edamame. I LOVE Murphy. I LOVE pillow. I LOVE sneeze." I am just waiting for "I LOVE lamp" to come out of his mouth. That would make my day. He loves hiding his feet under the couch pillows and screaming at me. "MOMMY!!! Where's my toes go???" His new favorite phrase is, "That's amazing!" Everything is amazing. I kind of like it. The other day during snack time, I was showing him how I can make letters out of pretzel sticks and he started clapping and said, "That's AMAZING, Mommy!" It made me feel very good about myself.
Unfortunately, I think Josh has inherited his Mommy's ability to screw up even the simplest of colloquialisms. Here are a few examples of what we are dealing with...
" What's up Coconut?" instead of "What's up, Buttercup?"
When we get in the car- "Ohh, it's A Hot Tamale!" Instead of "It's Hot Tamales" (close, buddy)
"See ya later Crocodile." Instead of Alligator, of course.
When I was telling Chris about these blunders, he pointed out that it most likely was due to me saying them wrong all the time.
Point taken.

We headed to the splash park for the first time this season and Josh had a blast running- I'm sorry- SPRINTING all over the park. I was pleased that he stayed in the splash park and didn't partake in the dangerous splash park/jungle gym park rotation that inevitable ends with a trip to the ER. Anyway, he had a great time with the fountains and buckets. Then, he proceeded to sport this very unbecoming squat over a water spout. Maybe I should potty train Josh using a fancy bidet instead of an Elmo potty seat? What do you think ?

It's a summer blog tradition to post a Katie/Josh Splash Park picture comparison, so here you go..



2007- Potted plant stage, my favorite.










2008 - Wobbly walkers that couldn't tell us "NO!" yet. Nice.





2009- They may as well be in high school! They're huge! And very fast, this was the best shot of the two of them together.


This weekend, I attended my first ever MOPS (Mother's of Preschoolers) Steering Committee retreat at a beautiful lake house about 2 hours outside of the city. The "retreat" was really a 24 hour planning meeting. Regardless, since it was out of town and we were able to leave our toddlers at home, it definitely felt like we had retreated in the end. As you can imagine, there was a lot of gabbing and giggling that took place. Anytime you stick 15 women that don't get out much in a secluded house for a day (with sketchy cell coverage), you will hear some funny stories. Today, I am quite exhausted! There is always one room on every retreat that stays up too late telling too many inappropriate stories and laughing way too loud - that was our room. I had so much fun getting to know the amazing women I will be serving with this upcoming year. Thanks for a great time, ladies!
While I was away, Chris and Josh were extremely busy bees. They went for a long bike ride to a yummy breakfast place, had a quick visit to the pool with Katie and her dad, cleaned the dishes, vacuumed the floors, did a load of laundry, and attended Thomas' 3rd birthday party! Whew! I don't know how Chris had time for all that business, but I sure appreciated all he accomplished while I was away. About 3.5 minutes after I got home from the retreat, Erin picked me up and we were able to catch the end of Thomas' birthday and see Josh and Katie going wild at Little Gym. Josh loves that place! Too bad it will cost me his college fund to enroll him for a semester of classes.

3 comments:

believe it or not...it's just me said...

cute blog Al! it is hot, hot, hot UGH! try to stay cool!

Nicole said...

someone looks a little angry to be wearing that party hat. and i'm in total agreement with mb that pants aren't really necessary, in any weather.

The Q. Family said...

Love the post!! Can't believe how much he's grown up the past 2 1/2 years!!