Thursday, June 18, 2009

Honk, Honk!!! I Need Some Ice Cream!


Yesterday, Josh threw a big ice cream sundae play date for all of his friends. It was quite the perfect day for him. As soon as he woke up, he saw all the ice cream toppings I had placed on the breakfast bar in preparation for the party. He promptly started his rocker version of "Happy Birthday to you" and asked for pancakes. Such a curious association he has made with his birthday, pancakes, and ice cream, but it makes me laugh so I"ll go with it. I had to explain at least 17 times that it is not his birthday, we only have ONE birthday a year and his is in January.
I don't think he got the picture.


I went a bit crazy with the toppings, but it was super fun. When it was ice cream party time, Josh didn't waste any time and walked straight up to me and said in no uncertain terms, "Mommy, I need some ice cream." Really, Josh? Do you "NEED" ice cream? In his sweet little mind, I think he truly believes he will die without some ice cream. Josh's toppings of choice for his ice cream scoops (one vanilla, one chocolate) were the following:

  • Mini M&Ms
  • Two Gummy Bears
  • Girly flower sprinkles (so embarrassing, Josh)
  • strawberries (strategically placed by his lame mommy, but he out smarted me again, and didn't touch them)
  • chocolate syrup
  • colored sprinkles

    Josh didn't mess around with the opportunity to choose his own toppings. It was fun to see what creative things the kids (and adults) did with their ice cream sundaes. I saw one boy who had chocolate ice cream, chocolate sprinkles, crushed Oreo's, hot fudge, and a warm brownie. That is just awesome. I went with vanilla topped with heath bar and a perfect corner piece of a gooey brownie. Not too bad for a Wednesday afternoon treat.





"Here, try a bite of mine."











" Come on dude, give me a bite!"




The Party in Full Swing.


Yes, that is a super cool bounce house in our backyard. John M. and his sweet mommy provided that fun addition to the festivities as well as a water playmat perfect for the second- borns of the group, thank you, thank you! Josh was a wee excited when he woke up from his nap and discovered his very own bounce house in the yard. To quote him, "Bounce House! Right There! Bounce House! It's a Big One." We still have the bounce house set up in the yard for bonus bounce time today. Every time he passes by the window and sees the bounce house, it's like he is seeing it for the first time, "Oh! Look!! A Bounce House, right there!!!"

I wasn't really expecting the big kids to actually get in the "baby" pool, but leave it to these two to find their way into mischief while we aren't looking. It didn't take long for their diapers to swell with water causing Josh's gait to resemble a Sumo wrestler, it did not look comfortable. Out came a package of swim diapers and the party took a wild turn with wet and naked toddlers running all over my backyard. I would post pictures, but would prefer not to have that blemish on my FBI record.


Josh had such a great time with all his favorite friends! I think the only thing he enjoyed as much as the ice cream was chasing Hanna and Katie around as they were in hot pursuit of the bubbles. Maybe Josh misread their intentions, but he was having fun nonetheless. And today, he will not stop talking about Hanna. Everything is about Hanna, today. He did miss a few far away pals, though. He asked for Matt and Will, which I thought was super cute! If only Austin were 30 minutes away!

I had to be really cruel and send the already hyped up kids home with even more treats to further their sugar high. Actually, these little ice cream cones filled with gum drops was what prompted me to have an ice cream party. I love a fun crafty project! Doesn't it make you want to play Candy Land?




As I said, we still have the bounce house set up today and Josh hasn't missed a waking moment inside with his boring toys while the bounce house is in play. He keeps "making" me bounce with him, which secretly I love. And let me tell you, bouncing in a bounce house all day when it is 97 degrees outside brings about a new kind of funkiness and tiredness in a toddler (and mommy). This picture shows our grossness, but I don't care, I love the pure bliss on his face. A wonderful memory of my happy boy. He (and I) were soooo worn out by 7:00. Josh only escaped from his room two times, which I consider a successful night. We may need to install one of these bounce houses as a permanent fixture, I'm sure the dogs will love it.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

happy bird day to! oh wait, now i'm confused. and hungry for ice cream. thanks a lot, mb.

ps. i can't believe that shirt still fits him.

The Q. Family said...

How fun!! I'm so sad we had to miss. You are so dang creative A!!

Tricia said...

Wow, that is some kind of awesome playgroup! Al, you really know how to throw a get together. Josh, Matt misses you too--he's always asking to get on I-35 and go see Josh. And really, what's more fun than a bounce house?

Little McShahan said...

I LOVED the bounce house too! Thanks for having such an awesome party. And thanks for including a picture of Mommy's enormohiney.