Sunday, May 3, 2009

The bright side.


Okay, I'm going to whine. Just be prepared, 'cause it's going to happen.
We have had one of the worst weeks in recent memory. Nothing life-altering, it's just been one of those weeks when the combination of things make for a rotten week. The purpose of this post is to look at on the bright side so I might alter my memories of this week.

Wish me luck.


Tuesday morning Josh woke up with a fever of 102.5, a cough, and a runny nose. Poor little guy was a mess! Thus began a week in seclusion. We had to cancel play dates, skip our weekly (okay, daily) trips to Target, and miss school. By Wednesday, we had learned the definition of "cabin fever." Sadly, by Thursday he was acting really sick. In the midst of the Swine Flu outbreak, Chris and I were getting very nervous about what kinds of germs were festering in our little man.



On the bright side, Josh and I had some fun times. I was able to finish some projects around the house and Josh had fun with finger paints. And, apart from Thursday morning, Josh was acting just like his usual wild self. On Thursday, by some miracle, we were able to get a super fast appointment with our pediatrician. And, thanks to the rapid flu test, in 15 minutes we learned we were piggy-flu free. By that evening he was like a new kid!



Because Josh was so sick all week, I had to make the dreaded call to the Joneses and tell them to stay away from our house and cancel their visit. This meant no fun girl time with Tricia, no crazy kid fun with Matt (and little Will of course), and no golf with Steven on Saturday morning. I hate that phone call.


On the bright side, after conferring with Josh's pediatrician, we learned Josh would be just fine for visitors. The Joneses delayed their departure a bit, but were still able to come! Weehoo!


It stormed and rained the majority of the weekend which meant further confinement indoors for Josh and Matt. Two toddler boys locked up in a house for an extended period of time can be disastrous. Not to mention, the dogs were completely wigging out over the thunder storms and one of them chewed the bejesus out of one of our door frames.





On the bright side, the rain showers arrived after the baby shower I hosted at my house Saturday morning. Chris and Steven had a rain-free and successful golf game. That afternoon, despite the severe weather, the boys had fun running around the house and playing in Josh's new tent.




Chris and I had a big steak dinner planned for the Steven and Tricia. But, when we opened the the steaks, they looked less than desirable.


On the bright side, Chris didn't have to grill outside in the torrential rain and get struck by lightening. Instead, we ordered Mariano's, which is ALWAYS a good thing. Also, fajitas go much better with the homemade yummy margaritas we were serving.




On Friday night, Josh refused to sleep anywhere but in his big boy bedroom next to Matt. So sweet, except all he wanted to do was keep him awake all night. So, long story short, we slept a grand total of 2 hours and 45 minutes on Friday night- not that I was counting.



On the bright side, Josh WANTED to be in his new room, so that was good. He took an awesome nap on Saturday and Josh and I both slept from 9pm until 6am Saturday night without making a sound. Yes, that's right, I was in bed at 9pm on a Saturday night. I am so cool.


A real low-point of the weekend was when Josh decided to take the permanent markers meant for his dry erase board and color ALL over the playroom carpet. Of course, this was the first and only time I have ever slipped with my rule to always observe the marker usage, and he sure took advantage of it. In a similar story, this afternoon, Josh found a tube of toothpaste and plastered it all over the carpet in our bedroom. I'm not sure where this business of destroying my carpet came from.


On the bright side, I had this fabulous product.

It promised me it was incredible and it was! That "permanent" marker came out in seconds!



After this crazy, out of control weekend, I am sure our dear friends think we are running a circus around this house. A post-sick, non-sleeping toddler is hard enough to deal with without all this other business, for goodness sakes!


(Chris, Alison, Steven, and Tricia- circa 1998)

On the bright side, Steven and Tricia have known us for over ten years and know that we are, and always will be crazy. And, they love us despite our non-sleeping child, out of control dogs, and rancid meat. Or so they say...
Thanks for listening, or reading. I feel better about this weekend already!

1 comment:

Tricia said...

OMG that 90's photo of us is a little scary...look what 10 years has done to us!! It was a memorable weekend, to be sure. You guys are always great hosts even under sick child/crazy dogs/hosting a shower/thunderstorms/no sleep circumstances. Let's do it again some time! Hope you get some rest this week, Al.