Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Finsh Line


"What is not started today is never finished tomorrow."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

This weekend brought with it the finish of two big events in our family, most notably, Chris' Habitat house which he has been slaving over for months. We had a super busy weekend, but had so much fun celebrating!




Saturday morning was our annual neighborhood 5K run and 1M family walk organized by the Junior Women's League that I am a part of. We have been planning this event for months and months and it was a huge success again this year. We raised close to $60,000 that will go straight into the beautification of our neighborhood parks. The morning started very early (5am early- yikes!) for all of us. It took Josh about an hour to wake up and get excited about the day's events. I guess he didn't have the benefit of a Grande Skinny Vanilla Latte like I did. Granee and Pa came into town for the Habitat Dedication and were also able to attend the event with us, what a treat!


After the walk, I ran the 5K run with a few friends by my side. It was a great morning for a run. There was a nice cool breeze which was much appreciated, until I hit a few of the hills, of course.

While I was running, Josh was having a blast at the family carnival. He got to meet the Chick-Fil-A cow. I thought he would love him, but he looks a little wary of the poor cow in this shot. When I asked him what a cow gives us, he said... " milk, and ummm, CHICKEN!" This leads me to believe we go to Chick-Fil-A way too much. Josh also got to bounce in the bounce houses and pet the goats at the petting zoo, which we all know he loves so much!


By the time I made it to the finish line (29.10 min- funny how I can go so much faster without a pooping dog and a needy toddler in tow), my cheering section was awaiting me which made me feel oh, so good! After my big finish, we raced to Chris' big finish of the weekend.....


The Habitat house Chris has been working on is finished and looks amazing!!! The Dedication of the house and the presentation of the keys to the new home owner was our next big event. We are so proud of all the hard work Chris put into to this incredible ministry. Chris said he is so glad to be finished, but in the same sentence said he can't wait to come back out to help build next year.


The sweet family who received the house was very appreciative of the hard work by Chris, the other lawyers and Habitat volunteers. Her three boys were adorable and showed Josh and I their new rooms. I was in awe over her new kitchen which is huge and has a double oven!

As always, Chris amazed me with his ease with public speaking as he presented the house and thanked the people involved in the process. Not to mention, Chris was able to maintain his composure as Josh ran up to him, "Daddy, Daddy," in the middle of the presentation.

To finish the weekend off right, Chris went for a bike ride around the lake. When he came across the Classic English Car Rally (complete with dozens of amazing cars AND a bounce house) he called me to come STAT. I loaded up Josh as soon as he woke up from a much needed nap and we met Chris at the Car Rally. Unfortunately, it was coming to a rapid close due to a few tiny rain drops- I guess these cars are actually worth something. However, we were able to walk around and enjoy some of the cars. Josh really liked a tiny vintage red Mini-Cooper, which is funny since I would LOVE a red Mini-Cooper if it weren't for SOMEBODY'S massively large car seat (and safety, of course).

There were classic Alfa Romeos, MGs, Jaguars, Bentleys, Lotus, Ferrari's, Triumphs, and then there was this race car. Someone smarter than me will have to explain this; it didn't quite fit in. However, Josh loved the "RACE CAR." I wouldn't let him get closer than 10 feet, as the owner gave me that all knowing "look" as soon as he saw me and Josh walk up. I asked Josh to recreate the look for me in this picture above. He did a good job.

"Step Away From My Race Car."

Whewww! We are all exhausted and looking forward to a low-key week. Thanks for sharing our weekend with us!






3 comments:

Little McShahan said...

You guys are amazing! I love Josh with the cow.

Nicole said...

Wow, you look like you're actually *enjoying* running in that picture. What's that like? And I bet that a real racecar was super exciting, perhaps even a little moreso than the beer-car display at tom thumb josh enjoyed so much. love y'all!

Anonymous said...

Alison...Great pics and stories!! I love that y'all are having so much fun with this little guy!! Joy to my heart!! ~Tim ;)