
Josh has always loved animals and goes crazy over petting zoos. This past weekend, we had our fill of farm animals. The Livestock Show and Rodeo was in town and we headed out early one morning to check it out.
Let me tell you a few things about my farm animal experiences, or lack there of. I am a self-proclaimed city girl. The first time I went to Chris' parent's house on the farm, there was a cow in their "backyard" (which was really a pasture) and I about had a heart attack. Later that same trip, I saw a bail of hay and couldn't figure out how they got the hay in such perfect circles. Uncle Tim loves to laugh at that one. The only other Livestock Show I've been to is the one in Houston where there is more good food and music than stinky animals (or that is my memory of it).
When we arrived at the Livestock show on Saturday, I had no idea what I was in for. This was a legitimate LIVESTOCK show. There were cows everywhere! Some were walking freely(and pooping freely) amongst the crowd and others were in the process of receiving make-overs for their show appearance. Josh was in awe over the huge bulls and goats. He loved seeing the pigs cuddling up together to keep warm. He greeted the roosters with an appropriate, "Cock-A-Doodle-Do" that made the people by us laugh. We saw tiny little chicks breaking free from their eggs. We scored some delicious cinnamon roasted pecans to munch on and Josh tried to feed one to an alpaca in it's stable. Josh had a blast. And despite my utter (no pun intended) disgust, I survived the smell long enough to watch Josh have a great time.

I had to include this picture since Josh looks so darn cute in his hat. I know, I should of had his cowboy hat on him to match his pearl-snap shirt. It was only 35 degrees outside, so I went with warmth over cuteness ( but only on this rare occasion).
To continue with the farm theme, the boys put together the new wooden barn that Uncle Phil and Aunt Anna gave Josh for Christmas. It is a beautifully crafted toy and I may steal it from Josh and keep it in my bedroom so I can play with it. They also gave him a little cowboy, horse, cow and longhorn (of course) figurine to go inside the barn.
To continue with the farm theme, the boys put together the new wooden barn that Uncle Phil and Aunt Anna gave Josh for Christmas. It is a beautifully crafted toy and I may steal it from Josh and keep it in my bedroom so I can play with it. They also gave him a little cowboy, horse, cow and longhorn (of course) figurine to go inside the barn. 
Josh loves it and has been making up some great stories about his cowboy and horses. He has learned to gallop around the house with his "Hursee" and he has even taken his Lightening McQueen car for a horseback ride (on a cow) into the barn. Interesting, I don't remember that part in the movie.
To end the weekend of barnyard fun, Josh had a surprise treat waiting for him at church. Sunday's lesson was about the Lost Sheep, so the church brought out a big petting zoo for the kids to walk through. I was serving childcare on Sunday, so I was a lucky teacher that got to bring 15 three year olds through the petting zoo. Yeepee for me!

1 comment:
love the barn! and the little builder.....
MeMe
Post a Comment