Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Daddy






I Want To Be Just Like You

Phillips, Craig & Dean



He climbs in my lap for a goodnight hug


He calls me Dad and I call him Bud


With his faded old pillow and a bear named Pooh


He snuggles up close and says, "I want to be like you"


I tuck him in bed and I kiss him goodnight


Tripping over the toys as I turn out the light


And I whisper a prayer that someday he'll see


He's got a father in God 'cause he's seen Jesus in me


Lord, I want to be just like You


'Cause he wants to be just like me


I want to be a holy example


For his innocent eyes to see


Help me be a living Bible, Lord


That my little boy can read


I want to be just like You


'Cause he wants to be like me


Got to admit I've got so far to go


Make so many mistakes and


I'm sure that You know


Sometimes it seems no matter how hard I try


With all the pressures in life I just can't get it all right


But I'm trying so hard to learn from the best


Being patient and kind, filled with Your tenderness


'Cause I know that he'll learn from the things that he sees


And the Jesus he finds will be the Jesus in me


Right now from where he stands I may seem mighty tall


But it's only 'cause I'm learning from the best Father of them all.





It's pretty clear to me that Josh thinks Chris hung the moon. As soon as Josh wakes up in the morning, he is calling out "Da Da" from his crib. He continues to search for Daddy all day long and points to every picture of Chris in the house. Around 6pm, Josh starts to loiter around the back door waiting for Chris to come home from work. As soon as he hears the door open the smile on his face is priceless. As he runs full speed ahead for Chris' arms it makes me so happy to see my boys reunite with such love. I pray that Josh will grow into a strong, smart, gracious, and confident gentleman, just like his Daddy.





The Toy Box






True to his "Dad of the Year" title, Chris made this toy box for Josh from scratch! I believe there were no screws or nails (except for the latches) used. That is quite impressive because that means he cut all the pieces to fit together perfectly. Chris even made it "Josh proofed" by rounding all the edges and using springs to assure the lid won't slam on any little fingers. It is a true work of art and a very special piece of furniture that our family will enjoy for years and years.



Josh loves his new toy box! He immediately climbed inside and played with his cars and trains. It is now filled to the brim with his hundreds of toys. He sometimes just opens the lid and looks inside with a big smile on his face. Chris, you did a great job putting yet another smile on your little boy's face! Happy Father's Day!


And, to the wonderful man who raised (and tolerated) me....




... Happy Father's Day, Dad!! Although you are thousands of miles away from us today, I am thinking of you and missing you. If you were here, I would give you a big hug. Thank you for all you have done and continue to do for our family. You never cease to amaze me with your patience, kindness, generosity, and wisdom.
I love you always (and anywhere),
Alobino.













No comments: