Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Beijing 2008

We are happy to announce the newest member of the 2008 US Men's Olympic Gymnastic Team...


Perfect Dismount!



This weekend, we were the lucky guests of a birthday party at The Little Gym. Thomas sure knows how to throw a rager of a party. There were kids running wild all over the place. As I watched all 20 or so toddlers interacting and playing, I couldn't help but think about high school parties.

The Similarities between A Little Gym Party and A High School Party

1. As soon as a new person walks into the room, everyone stops and checks him/her out.
2. The parents stand back, shake their heads, and think, "I can't believe my child is so grown up." (Whether they are acting grown up or not).
3. The boys and girls are drooling all over each other.
4. The girls are chasing the boys and the boys are trying to break a limb.
5. Boys only have one thing on their mind..."Where's the food?" (okay, maybe that's not the only thing).
6. The younger kids watch the older ones intently and copy their every move, no matter how stupid it is.
7. By the end of the party (6 pm for the toddlers, 6 am for the teens), they are all so "high" on "sugar" they are running in circles, munching on goldfish and pretzels, and passing out in the car.


Disclaimer (especially for my parents): Many assumptions were made when comparing to the High School Party. Never would I have partied until 6am or been around kids who were passing out in their cars. And I wouldn't be caught dead chasing boys.

Do y'all remember this thing from preschool? I don't remember much of my days as a little Irish girl, but as soon as they broke out the parachute I squealed and giggled! I love it! Oh, and Josh liked it a lot too. We threw all the kids in the middle and bounced them up and down and ran them round and round. I wanted to jump in so badly!! But, I didn't. I would have had a serious sewing project on my to-do-list.


On a completely random note...

... I had to share my fabulous purchase today! I went to Hobby Lobby (a terrifyingly fabulous place) and scored this piece of furniture (on total clearance)! It was love at first sight. It is the most perfect item to store all my crafting supplies (I labeled each drawer). No more boxes to deal with! All the drawers slide out easily and are just the right size for my supplies. It's pretty tall, I wasn't sure if it would fit in my car, but I didn't really care. I paid the nice lady at the desk before she realized how cheap they were selling it for and I headed out to my car. Sure enough, there was no way I could get it in. Here is a list of all the things I had (already) stuffed in my car...

1. Me

2. Josh (and his car seat)

3. Big stroller

4. Josh's car pool float ( fully inflated)- we were headed to the pool.

5. One huge backpacked filled with all the pool necessities (towels, clothes, toys, etc.)

6. 2 12 packs of Dr. Pepper

7. A basket filled with emergency car/Josh/Alison/Chris/medical supplies.

8. 4 of Josh's favorite books (to keep him happy at the craft store).

9. Massive Picnic blanket

After I assessed the stuffed car situation, I determined that the only way my new gem was coming home with me was if I take everything out of my car (including Josh's car seat) and rearrange. So, here I am in the parking lot, in my bathing suit (I did have a cover-up on, I'm not that ghetto), taking everything out of my car and placing it on the ground next to me. Josh was hanging out reading one of his 4 books in a cart securely parked next to my car. Things were going well until the wind started to blow. Up goes my skirt and then Josh's cart started to roll. I grabbed Josh first, then my skirt. For the safety of my son and skirt exposure, I decided to put Josh into the car (standing in the backseat- with me) as I latched his car seat back in. By this time, I had already put the ginormous piece of furniture and all the other stuff back into the car and I am half standing/half squatting on the floorboards of the backseat trying to put the car seat back in, which everyone with kids knows is not so easy. Then, Josh saw me moving his seat (from the middle to behind the driver's side) and started to TOTALLY WIG OUT! A full on temper tantrum in the middle of the packed car. He did not want me moving his seat! I couldn't help but laugh at the situation. Finally, we (and all my stuff) made it in the car and we were on our way to the pool (as I had promised).

Was it worth it?

Definitely!!!

4 comments:

Pauline said...

It is a gorgeous piece of furniture!
I am sure well worth the struggle to get it in the car!

jamas said...

Never leave home without at least two 12-packs of Dr. Pepper. You never know when you could be stranded and need one!!!

Michelle {bsktgirl} said...

I LOVE LOVE the new storage! Strong work!

Nicole said...

but how is mb at the floor exercise? does he employ one of those pretty ribbons in his routine?

xoxo