The other day, I was walking around Borders looking for a good book to read. I came across this title and thought, "I completely agree."As I type this entry, Josh is slumbering in his comfortable crib and I have my feet up enjoying a Diet Dr. Pepper while watching Food Network. I admit before I made myself sit down, I cleaned two bathrooms, started a load of laundry, baked a batch of brownies for Chris' Habitat meeting, and played with the dogs for 5 minutes- not exactly "Happy Hour" is it? As a SAHM (stay at home mom), I sometimes feel like I have to justify what I do all day long. I feel guilty when I get to sit and relax while Chris is slaving away at work. But, then I think, most people get a hour break for lunch, so why can't I? So, here I am taking my hour (two if I'm lucky) break with you!
Back to the book. This book is NOT for people easily shocked or offended. It is not for parents who are perfect or have children who are perfect. This book is for parents who find the everyday struggles of raising and entertaining a toddler a bit annoying and frustrating, but over all a hilarious and wonderful job. The author is a mom and comedian who has written for various TV shows. She lives in LA, so her point of view on somethings is way exaggerated. She is the type of person I would love to have as a friend. However, she would not like me because she outwardly bashes crafty moms that scrapbook ("I have a crafty friend, you know the type; if she was 10% less cool, she would be scrapbooking")- HA! You mean, 10% MORE cool!!
A couple of my favorite excerpts:
- On Shopping: "There is a magical land, probably three exits away from your house, just waiting to help you burn off two hours- similar to Disneyland but minus the hundred dollars in admission fees: Target! Target is like catnip to moms. The Target experience starts with the ease of the parking lot, because all the spaces are so huge. It's almost like it's all handicapped parking. And really, isn't having a small child a teeny bit of a handicap?"
- On getting hurt: " your kid could get a concussion from a cotton ball . They're built like that. They will find a way to injure themselves. I like to chalk it up to creativity and think of my constantly bruised child as gifted." AMEN!!!
- On growing up: " It seems like one minute they're lying in their cribs helpless as a hammered Nick Nolte, watching their mobile spin round and round, and the next minute they're clutching an FAO Schwartz stuffed English Bulldog and demanding bedding with a higher thread count!"
It's a good read for those who need a good laugh and a moment to take this ever important job of raising a little human a little less seriously.
Here is my happy toddler turning my life upside down! What you can't see from this picture is how the minute the flash went off he tried to WALK down the slide.
2 comments:
and minutes after the picture of josh on the slide, katie jumped off a bench and nearly cracked her skull open (and gave me a heart attack!). i can't wait to read the book!!
thanks for the chuckle!! i might just have to check this book out!! I once made the comment to Kirk one Sat. "now for the best part of the day" referring to the time that I had put Sam down for his nap. I didn't REALLY mean it, I mean who can resist that sweet little man and his precious smiles, but then there or "THOSE" days!!!
Post a Comment