Congratulations Phil and Anna! The wedding was amazing and planned with much detail and personality resulting in a wonderfully special weekend. Here is a picture of the newly weds celebrating with their favorite (and only) nephew.
This was Josh's first airplane ride on the way to New York. He did VERY well and enjoyed looking at everyone behind us on the plane. We were lucky to get bulk head seats so he was able to crawl around on the ground and keep himself busy with the remote control I brought from home. Desperate times call for desperate measures. As you can see, he had to get in the NY spirit for the trip.
Friday we met with my family and Anna's to get ready for the wedding on Saturday. It was great to finally meet Anna's family. After some flower arranging and stringing of tiny Christmas lights we were off to the rehearsal dinner. The dinner was fabulous and it was such a treat having my in-laws there to enjoy the celebration and help with Josh. What a blessing! It was also fabulous to have many of our Irish relatives there to enjoy the weekend with us. This is a picture of Josh before the dinner. Quite handsome, I must say. He looks like a little man!!!

As we were driving around the area, we saw signs for "Alison Vineyards." So, of course I insisted any vineyard that names their wine " Alison" and spells it correctly must produce some FINE wine. We went for a quick tour and tasting on Saturday morning to get us in the mood for the wedding celebrations. We even got to keep our glasses that just happen to have "Alison" engraved on each glass. Sweet! Here is a link the vineyard site if you want some Alison wine. http://www.alisonwines.com/
The ceremony was so special and unique. As you can see from this picture, it was held outside with a picturesque backdrop. Since Anna is from the Ukraine, and Phil is from Ireland, they incorporated elements of each culture into the ceremony. There was an accordion player, Irish blessings, and Anna's parents presented Phil and Anna with a traditional bread, called Korovai. Here is an explanation from a website about this tradition...Side note: As I was looking at websites about Ukrainian traditions, I found one that said this....
" The biggest concern at the wedding is to have enough liquor. A Ukraine Wedding is an event where everybody must be drunk. No one will be surprised if people drink themselves to unconscious on the wedding - and many do. Having plenty of food is typical for any Ukraine function, and a wedding is not an exception. If you have enough liquor and food, the wedding is basically ready."
HILARIOUS!!!! Given that piece of information, and knowing that my family is Irish, you can just imagine the... shall we say "atmosphere" of this highly jubilant group of well-wishers.
The beautiful couple.Phil cleans up quite nicely and Anna is such a beautiful bride.
PS... she MADE that dress. Yes, that is right, HANDMADE! Amazing!

My big brother! I'm so very happy for him!
Here is (a not so great) picture of the barn where the reception took place. This picture doesn't do it justice at all. The barn was completely transformed into a beautiful and classy space. It was very memorable.
Here is the wedding cake and the Korovai bread that was served along with the cake. Instead of a champagne toast, they provided bottles of Vodka and Irish Whisky to toast with. Again, assuring it was a successful Irish/Ukrainian union. Hate to disappoint the ancestors!
This is what Josh looked like at the close of the weekend. NO, it was not from drinking too much vodka or Irish whisky, just from not sleeping well all weekend. We had a great trip and I'm glad we got to share it with all of you!

6 comments:
It just brought a little tear to my eye to see what a big man Josh already is! (And also because you seem to have gotten him so drunk by the end-- he's just a child, people.) I've only been gone for a month and he already is old enough for a learner's permit, looks like.
I'm SO GLAD it was fun for everyone. Congratulations to the happy couple and to Miniman for getting through his first big trip.
Glad you had such a fabulous time!!! Little Josh rocks with his church boy comb over & the I heart NYC shirt!
I cant wait to hear more about this wedding! Love weddings! :)
Wow, Anna made her dress?! That's impressive and daring, I must say. I'm so glad the weather was nice - it all looked so beautiful. Way to go Joshua for making a trek to upstate NY and even allowing for your gparents and peeps to booze it up. Oh wait, you're part Irish!
What beautiful pictures! Everyone looks fabulous and so happy. I'm so impressed Anna made that gown. Incredible. Josh looks so handsome! I love that pic of him all racked out, so tired from endless partying. What a trooper!
It sounds like it was just a perfect weekend! Josh looked adorable (of course) and the bride & groom looked beautiful together! I'm so glad you guys had fun. Irish & Ukranian... sounds like a fun party! :)
It looks like ya'll had a great weekend. Best picture by far is Joshua passed out. Also, I feel smarter after reading your blog. Thanks for all of the background info and links!
Post a Comment