Monday, May 3, 2010

MS 150




Chris was busy this weekend. Busy kickin' booty on his fancy pants bike that is! He finished the MS 150, a total of 164 miles, on Sunday just before noon. He did awesome. The first day he averaged 20 miles/hr for 80+miles. Insane. To tell you how much faster he was than the other riders, he was at the LUNCH stop before 10am. He did just as good the second day, despite the steep hills and increasing temperatures. And, thanks to many of you, Chris was just as successful in his fundraising for The National MS Society. He surpassed his $1,000 goal and raised $1, 180!!! Thank you to all those that supported MS and Chris.

I would have LOVED for Chris to be able to write this post so he could tell you all about camping the night at Texas Motor Speedway and waking up at 5am to start the ride for the second day. And all the people he met at the various break points along the way. And the feeling of crossing the finish line after two days of cycling. However, he was back at work early Monday morning without even a little limp in his stride.
Josh and I got to the finish line 2 minutes too late. Seriously, 2 minutes!!! Total bummer. We had no idea Speedy McSpeed-A-Lot would finish BEFORE noon!!! We still got to celebrate with him at the finish line. Josh was so excited to see him and made no mention of being embarrassed about his father's tight pants.
It was a beautiful day and the finish line festivities were abundant. Seemingly, cyclists enjoy partying more than runners, because their party blew any of my post-race parties out of the water. My favorite team was the "Irish Texans." When I asked what makes one eligible to be a part of the Irish Texan Team, he said "Be from Texas and like beer." Geesh. Such low standards. They had a huge bus filled with Irish beer and these Texas/Irish flags. I need one. I need one bad.
Rewind to Friday... Josh and I went to Austin for a short trip while Chris was starting his ride. Pa met us at a groovy diner and we all enjoyed a milk shake dinner. Josh spent the weekend at Granee and Pa's house while I celebrated Cinco de Mayo Aunt Pickles-style at her 1st annual fiesta. While I was partying with my friends, Josh was enjoying the exclusive attention of his grandparents. Fishing, boating, chocolate milk, and market days. From what I've heard from Josh, it was a super weekend. When I picked him up on Sunday morning, he couldn't talk fast enough to tell me about all the fun he had. Thanks Granee and Pa!

3 comments:

Party of 1 said...

Wow...tell Chris congrats on the race! I was so sad I didn't get to volunteer at the Hunt rest stop and be there to support everyone.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Chris! V. proud of you, and especially the fact that the cause was so important.
Glad to see Roland survived the weekend...way to go.

Cec

Nicole said...

YES! Congrats to Chris for being an awesome bikeist and to MB and Granee and Pa for facilitating an awesome party at Pickle's house. Thanks, Al, for coming... can't wait till next year. xoxo Pickies