Saturday, January 30, 2010

Special times with special friends



Every time I see a clip of the Harlem Globetrotters, I find it hilarious. I don't know why. They are a bit cheesy and goofy. Nevertheless, I have always giggled when I see the massive men twirling basketballs on the tips of their fingers and dancing around the court in tutu's. Therefore, when I saw a commercial for the show that was in town, I insisted that Josh REALLY, REALLY wanted to go. So, on Saturday morning, we found ourselves watching grown men dance around to bad pop music and doing some seriously cool tricks with their basketballs. We had an extra ticket, so we kidnapped Josh's buddy, John for the morning. Our first venture with two kids and we brought them both home in one piece! Success!
John and Josh had a great time. John is a natural when it comes to all things sports and I could almost see him jump out of his skin every time the players went up for a big dunk. Josh, on the other hand, enjoyed the loud hip hop music and danced uninhibited in the aisles. The two of them couldn't be more different, but compliment each other perfectly and had a great time.

Okay, those of you that gave me a hard time for Josh's birthday cake and it's teeth-staining black icing... I got my comeuppance this week, double time.
We went to Matthew' s Mickey Mouse PJ party. The kids were wild! What is it about being in your PJs in the middle of the day that makes life so much more fun? Jen made a super cute Mickey Mouse cake for us to enjoy, complete with black icing ears.

Next up, was "Happy as a Clam- Aubree's" 1st birthday party. There is nothing better than watching a baby attack a piece of cake with such focus and determination.


Faye made this adorable ladybug cake and matching cupcakes (again, with black icing). Josh tried to eat the pipe-cleaner antenna's and just couldn't believe I could be so mean to take them away from the poor lady bug. "OH NO, Mommy! Those were the bug's ears!!!" I then had to reassemble the cupcake and Josh ate AROUND the antennas. That night, I asked Josh what the best part of the day was and what he wanted to thank Jesus for. Without hesitation, he said, "Thank you Jesus for the bug cake." Well done, Faye. You're the big winner of the day.

After all the birthday celebrations, it was a treat to continue the celebration of new life at Maggie's Christening on Sunday. Maggie and big sister Katie looked precious in their Sunday best.

After the service, Josh and the other kids had all kinds of fun running a muck all over the sanctuary. Josh was chasing "Katie Bear" (as he has now taken to calling her) in and out of the pews and up and down the aisles. As I watched, I envisioned what Sunday morning would be like without church childcare... Y.I.K.E.S!! Thank goodness Jesus loves the little children of the world, but knows not to invite them to service every week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you guys ever sleep? I get tired just watching all your antics, but what a great time you're all having. I have yet to see the Globe Trotters, but then, I've never been to Disney World either!!!
Sorry, Al, for denying you your childhood dream.
Mom

Mama Bear said...

um, who's the kid drinking wine at the party? 'Cause, I wanna make friends with her.