Monday, January 18, 2010

Dos Mujeres en Isla Mujeres.


Nicole (aka: Pickles) and I just got back from the best vacation ever! Last week, we headed down south to the beautiful Caribbean island of Isla Mujeres, Mexico. And, let me tell you... paradise it was, my friends.

So, this post will be devoted to rehashing all the things we did while we were on vacation (in the form of pictures, of course).

Are you ready?

Are you sure?

Ok, here we go....

And... done.

That about does it.

The End.


Okay, Okay. I will expound just a bit on my week in paradise, but truly, that picture above really does say it all.

This was our patio.

This was the view from the patio and the path leading straight to this glorious location...

A white sandy beach with crystal clear blue water.

This is the hotel restaurant on the beach where we ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They served amazing food from the fresh squeezed orange juice to the grilled fish, everything was delicious.

Our days consisted of the following schedule.

1. Wake up at 7 am to the sound of the ocean, only to remember we are on vacation, and then roll over and sleep until 9 am.

2. Outdoor yoga class under a palapa.

3. Delicious orange juice, coffee, and migas at the beach side restaurant.

4. Back to the room to change into our vacation uniform... bathing suit, sun glasses, and flip flops.

5. Lay on the beach for a solid 6 hours. The only reason to check the time was to know when to flip over.
Think: rotisserie chicken.

6. We did force ourselves to get vertical a few times for various reasons. For example, I got up to go to the bar to order a drink once or twice. We went back to the room to refresh our book/magazine stock once a day. Nicole braved the cool water a few times, not me... I only made it to my belly and chickened out. Ahhh yes, and there was that one day we scheduled mid-afternoon massages. We went from laying on a beach bed all morning to a delightful massage, and then back to the beach bed for the rest of the day. That was a rough day.

(Phil, this is for you: Please note my second toe on my left foot. No, I did not get a lazy pedicurist. As Nicole so gracefully said, "Ten toe nails came into Mexico, and only 9 left." Yep, marathon side effects one month later, I lost a toe nail. Isn't that disgusting????? It's just too amazingly gross not to share with the blogging world. )


Another day, I went for a run AROUND the island. It is some kind of cool that I can say, "I looped an island." Truthfully, looping the island is less mileage than looping the lake at home, but it was still fun! I got a close up look at all the island had to offer. I saw the local markets, the tourist spots, and where the everyday Jose lives. I also stumbled upon this cemetery . I thought it was beautiful and enjoyed looking at the artwork families had left to remember their loved ones. It makes our cemeteries look so boring!

8. Once crispy and sandy to the bone, we headed inside to get cleaned up for dinner. And since we are old ladies, this would usually occur in the 5 o'clock hour.
Our best dinner, was the night we went into "town" (which on this tiny island was really just a street with a handful of stores and restaurants). Where else but Mexico would you find a hot dog flourished slice of pizza? Yes, folks, those are indeed hot dog slices on the pizza.
Amazing.

9. After dinner, we changed into our "knock around pants" (as Nicole calls them), and took over the outdoor TV hut to watch hours and hours of LOST on DVD. Those of you who have been watching LOST can only image how spooky it would be to watch it on a tiny, secluded island, in a hut surrounded by tropical greenery with the ocean waves as a background soundtrack. It was just like being on the LOST island with "the others"... except we had WiFi and a nice Mexican man delivering us hot coffee and dessert.

I had to purchase a few souviors for my little amigo at home, whom I missed tremediously. I found this green felt sombrero and it fits quite nicely. I looked everywhere for a matching size 4T green felt mariachi suit, but for some reason I couldn't find it. That is what the internet is for, my friends.
Oh yes, the makings of Halloween costume 2010 is already underway.
I also found Josh and his little buddies these cute little wooden insects. Nicole and I had fun picking out which ones we needed to bring home. When passing thru customs, I did not claim the Mexican bugs I was brining back into the country.
Oospy.
Being a sucker for little girl clothes, I couldn't pass up getting my two favorite baby girl's these adorable Mexican dresses.

Salud! To an amazing Mexican get away!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you guys had an amazing time! I hear you have to go back soon when Melanie and I can join.

The Q. Family said...

LOVELY trip!!! I feel relaxed jut reading your post. ;)

Anonymous said...

Alison: Does this beautiful island cater to old fuddy-duddys like Barn and me? It is an amazing place, and I'm so glad you and Nicole had such a relaxing time.
Mom

Nicole said...

I'm only a little bit bitter and angry that I'm back in real life. When will I have time to read 4 books in quick succession? When will I get to watch endless hours of Lost? When will my hot-dog pizza arrive? It's just not right. I loved our vacay and can't wait to go back! Thanks for making it a complete delight!

believe it or not...it's just me said...

wow! thanks for sharing, makes me almost feel like I was there! um, gotta say, growing up we always had hotdog on our pizza, my mom still makes it that way, but for some reason Kirk can't fathom why someone would do this and won't let me do it.