Thursday, February 14, 2008

True Love


Josh and his Sweet Valentine.
Josh: " How you doin'?"
Katie: "Mom, why do you make me hang out with this guy?"


Jackson did great in surgery this am. The Vet said that he was able to remove the mass with good margins. This means that he mostly likely got the entire thing and it didn't appear to have spread. The bad news is that the mass was very hard and "doesn't look good" (in his words). The Vet spit out more medical jargon in a period of 3 minutes than I hear at work in an 12 hour shift. I was like, " Okay, dude. I know you're smart- but can we have it in "real people" terms?" And I can usually hang with medical terms since that is "what I do for a living."

ANYWAY- they are sending the mass off to pathology and we will hear the results later next week. As for Jackson, he was up and ready to go 5 minutes post-op. The Vet was so funny, here is a recap of our telephone conversation (after all the medical jargon conversation took place)...

Al: "How's Jackson feeling, is he awake yet?"


Vet: "Let me walk back into the room and check."

-- This is when I hear background sounds of people running around and loud clanging noises--

Al: "Everything okay?"

Vet: "Uhhh, yeah. He seems to be awake. Uhhh.... What did you give him?" (asking his nurse)

Nurse in background: "Nothing- he just jumped off the table and started running around."

Al: "Everything alright?" (The noises I hear in the background are a bit alarming.)

Vet: "Uhhhhh....."( Sudden loss of intelligent words.)

Vet: "Uhhhhh...." ( Who's the smart one now, huh?)

Vet: "Well, I've never quite seen a dog respond like this. I just closed him 5 mintues ago and now he is running around wagging his tail in circles and sniffing at everyone."

Al: "Oh, yah. He's probably hungry." ( He didn't get to eat breakfast because of the surgery).

Vet: "Wow. This is amazing. I've never seen anything like this before. He should be completely snowed. "

I hear a metal table filled with instruments being knocked to the ground - I hope I don't have to pay for that.

Al: "Yep, that sounds like Jackson. "

When I picked him up, he was a little subdued. I can tell he hurts. It is so sad. He is breathing fast and he is being very snugly. No worries- I have drugs for him!!!Murphy has been in a funk all day since Jackson was gone. I am sure she thought he was out having a great time swimming and playing fetch. Not so much. So, I have one stoned, yet snuggly dog and one that is giving me the cold shoulder. Happy Valentine's Day to me (and to all of you as well)!

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I'm SO glad that everything went well with Jackson! AND that he wrecked the vet clinic. Can you blame him?

believe it or not...it's just me said...

so glad to hear things went well for jackson... hang in there, thinking of you!