Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Summer Fun

 My goal this summer was to relax with the kids and enjoy a life free of schedules and commitments; to enjoy Josh's time at home before the daily grind of Kindergarten. We would wake up when we wanted, stay in our jammies until noon, and spend all day lounging by the pool. I think I even imagined it being 85 degrees and breezy. Guess what? 
It's not happening. 
But, what we have been up to is good and perfect in it's own way.

 **************


$10.83 : Amount Josh raised for the “people who don’t have enough money for their own house” during his 35 minute gig as a Lemonade Stand owner. It took two weeks to plan the perfect lemonade stand, and shortly after we set up, a big storm came through and forced us to close shop. 

0%: Chance I thought it would be likely THESE fine folks would show up at our Lemonade Stand. Our sweet Austin friends just happen to be in the neighborhood (literally) when I posted a “commercial" for the stand on Facebook. They even made it before the storm came! 



1st: Emily’s first time at the beach!  Waaaay back in June, we ventured down to Port Aranasas with Chris’ family. It was Emily’s first time to the beach and not surprisingly, she loved  being by the water, but was very suspicious of the sand.


  Josh had a blast catching big waves and teaching Emily how to play in the sand. 
I don't think she understood.


 2: Number of kids that call this handsome fellow "Daddy." We were able to celebrate Father's Day on the beach. It was a perfect setting to spend great time together as a family. 

 We took Josh on a very fun dolphin viewing boat tour that turned into a full on pirate attack! 

 0: Number of cheetos that were edible after the dramatic pirate attack. Those slimy pirates came out of no one where and started spraying us with water guns and cannons full of... CHEETOS!!!!  Cheetos and sea water are not a good combination. Josh loved it and was not afraid at all to fight those pirates head on! 

3: Number of stinky pirates that greeted us at shore. Josh looked at me and said, "So, they really were good guys?!?! I knew that 'cause real pirates don't shoot Cheetos."


 4: The Fourth of July was fabulous, as always. While Chris was off working “security” for the neighborhood parade, the kids and I watched all the floats and collected candy.

 Lots and lots: of neighbors attended the parade and carnival this year. It was great, and luckily we made it out with both kids, so it was a success! 



 3: Number of days we got to hang out with Uncle Phil who came all the way to Texas for a visit! 

We traveled to MeMe and Barn’s house for a quick visit. It was a great time and so fun seeing everyone. 

7: Number of times one morning Josh asked when Phil was going to wake up. (Disclaimer, Phil is an early riser,  but Josh is an EXTREMELY early riser). Josh is completely enamored with “Uncle Fill” and every morning would ask me if he could go wake Phil up. Josh has also decided he wants to be an “Artistect” (Combo of artist + architect, think “Brangelina”) like Phil, but he wants to draw robots instead of buildings. The best quote of the weekend was when Josh said, “Phil makes buildings. Well, actually, he just takes a lot of pictures.” Well said, Josh. He is very observant, because that is COMPLETELY true. 

 7.5 months: Emily’s age and probably one of my favorite. Emily is getting more adorable every day , if possible. Her new thing is to smile so big that her face just can’t go any further. She wrinkles her little nose and her cheeks almost explode. I love it. 
 34: Age I turned last weekend. 
32: Age I really and truly thought I was until about 5 weeks ago. Ooch, that hurts.


4:00pm: Time of day I realized all the people I love most in Dallas had been lying to me .... but, it was for a good reason.

 ... having my house filled with my dearest friends made it one of the best in memory. 

 There was plenty of my favorite food, drink, and people. I seriously could not have asked for anything more. 

I felt so special, so loved, but most of all so blessed.

3 comments:

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

What a fun summer! What a fun birthday! What a fun future career for MB! And what a fun smile technique for MB2! You guys are the cutestests.

Cec said...

you are truly blessed! we loved having all but one of you down to houston...maybe next time chris.
MeMe