Monday, August 20, 2012

Wasn't it just yesterday?




Wasn’t it just yesterday, you fit in my arms so perfectly and now I can barely lift you.


Wasn’t it just yesterday your teacher had to write your name on every piece of art work you did in school, and now you write any word that pops into your mind. 




Wasn’t it just yesterday you took your first steps, and now you are riding your bike on your own. 


Wasn’t it just yesterday your little chubby feet easily fit in my palm, and now I can barely tell the difference between your socks and mine. 

Wasn’t it just yesterday every new word out of your mouth was documented and celebrated, and now I beg you to take a break from talking for just 5 minutes so I can think. 


But, even though so much has changed, I still...


Tuck you in to bed every night and say the same thing I’ve said to you since you were still in your crib. 

Get the first hug and kiss every morning. 


Get to kiss your boo-boos when you get hurt. 


Get to answer all your silly questions and hear your silly stories. 



Get to measure you every year and celebrate an extra inch or two. 


Get to tickle your arm and sing to you when you can’t sleep.


I still know how to make you smile, even when you really don’t want to. 

I still get to hold you on my knee at the doctor’s office. 


And I still get to watch as you talk lovingly to your sister in the same words I say to you.

Have I done enough? 


I worry about everything. Will you have fun? Will you feel welcomed? Will kids be nice to you? Will you get lost in the big school hallways? Will you behave? Will you get the answers right or at least be willing to learn? Will you fall and break an arm during recess? Will you get your feelings hurt? Will you hurt someone else’s feelings? Will I pack the right thing for lunch? Will you make nice friends? Will your shoes stay on, even if we double knot them? 
So many mixed emotions. I feel like I am on a roller coaster ride every day and every time I look at you.


 You are so ready.
 I just don’t know if I am. 

But, I promise I will be there when the bell rings at 3:00 everyday to pick you up and bring you back home to me. 

I promise to rejoice in every sentence you read and song you learn.
I promise to guide you through tying your shoe laces and learning your multiplication tables. 
I promise I will listen to your stories and be at every game or recital you have. 
I promise to pray for you everyday.


Just, please, please, please...
 promise me you will stay my baby boy forever. 

6 comments:

Mama Bear said...

He's ready. And, you are too. You just don't know it. Blessings to you all. This is an exciting new adventure and you will ALL love it.

Nicole said...

Go MB! You will be the best kindergartner and we can't wait to see what you accomplish. (And big hugs and courage to your Mom) xxoo

Tricia said...

Sniff. Big times for Mr. Josh in the days ahead, and you're right--he's totally ready. Breathe and take it all in, Al, and be proud of who that sweet boy has become. God will certainly bless all those prayers, all that time, energy, heartache, and intense love. YOU are an awesome mom.

sarah from the suburbs said...

Tears, tears, tears...so sweet, Al! love this...

Anonymous said...

That written piece of yours is the most touching I've read in a long time. Josh will amaze you in what he will and can do......then, you know you've done a good job!
MeMe

Phil said...

seriously speechless.