Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Becoming a Man.



This is a topic I really don't know anything about. If we were talking Barbie dream houses, Girl Scout cookie sales, or hair crimpers, then I'd be your lady. But, nope... I live with boys so we are talking boy stuff today. It all started one beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon. Chris and Josh were in the backyard throwing the football. I think that is when Chris decided today was the day to make his son into a man. A day Josh will remember forever and will recount to his friends when he is in high school.



Boy Activity #1- Throwing the football.

Boy Activity #2: Build fire.


Boy Activity #3: Cook and eat dinner (hot dogs and smore's) over the fire... using a wire hanger as a utensil. Very manly, indeed.

Boy Activity #4: The greatest of all manly things- watching Star Wars for the first time. We have, I fear, created a monster or a droid or a Jedi... whatever it is, my son is not the same. Over lunch, his cheese stick became a lightsaber.

Boy Activity #5: Camping out with Daddy. This is up there with Star Wars in the initiation process, I believe. Chris and Josh set up the tent in the backyard, much to the dogs' distress. They spent the night in the wilds of our backyard, but they had a great time.

After singing songs and telling stories, Josh finally fell asleep and slept until 7am when the sun came up.
It was a great night.
And, although all these things are bringing him that much closer to being a man, he still asks for me to tuck him in at night, so I am okay with this manly process.
For now.




3 comments:

cabbie said...

Have to admit, I'm pretty proud of the throwing form in that first picture--arm extended, thumb down, eyes on the target! Love that guy!!

Nicole said...

Can he still be my baby boyfriend if he gets all man-ified? I don't know what to do about this. (PS. Star Wars = YESSSS)

Phil said...

That shot of Chris and Josh camping out is soooo awesome. He'll be beating his chest and hunting and gathering with the best of us soon....