Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Random Projects


About 1.5 yr. ago, I found this cute image online. I saved it and I've been waiting patiently to be able to use it for a fun purpose! And I found one!



Since I'm one of the craft girls for our MOPS group, I decided to make it into a top for our upcoming MOPs retreat.

BEFORE
You may remember, a loooonnnnggg time ago (okay, it was only about 4 months ago, but it's been a really long 4 months for me), I mentioned I was redecorating our boring laundry room. I started the project the same week I learned I was pregnant, and I knew if I didn't get it done, I would never get it done. So using my pregnant lady powers, I was able to convince Chris to do the painting despite PROMISING him I wouldn't rope him into the redecorating project.

AFTER
I would say it is a much more cheerful room to be in now. However, this still doesn't mean I LOVE doing laundry, it just makes coming in the door a little more welcoming. The colors are a wee off in the picture, but the walls are a turquoise blue and all the accessories are orange and white. I redecorated the entire room for less than $150. I found the "laundry" sign at Hobby Lobby ( 50% off- never buy ANYTHING at HL without a coupon or if it's not on sale. Just wait a week, and it will be on sale). I used an orange paint pen to make the swirlys around the sign. I found the fun hanging lamp shade at Ikea. I love that place. The shade is just for looks, as we have recessed lighting in the laundry room. Chris doesn't understand why one would hang a lamp just for "looks." Ladies, you can all understand, right????

I found this great magnetic board with orange magnets at Ikea for next to nothing! It's a perfect place for Josh's art work, cards that make me smile, and invitations. Above the board I have decorated the wall with orange and white plates I found on clearance at Pier One.
Seemingly, orange is not a very popular color, all the orange stuff is on clearance these days. Lucky me, I found these adorable orange mushrooms on sale at Pier One also. I got the shelves at Hobby Lobby in the unfinished wood aisle and painted the shelves orange. I sewed the window coverings myself; fabrics from JoAnns Fabric.

Our biggest expense was this white cube set from Ikea. It was $70, but is so, so handy! I found all the matching baskets on sale at Micheal's. I love this little spot to organize all our items we use daily and need as we walk out the door. I made a frame and added some fun flowers on top of the shelve so the first thing I see when I walk in the door are the people that make me smile! Lastly, we have a fun hook to hold all the family's orange UT caps. I love that they match the room. Details, details.

Long before I even started the laundry room, I completed another MASSIVE project- organizing my craft area. My parents got me this awesome craft desk for Christmas and although it looks like a mess in the picture, it is a controlled mess.
I promise.

The top of the desk is clear, so I can see all the little compartments and what is in each. Genius!
I added shelves above the desk for all my CRAP supplies. I also added this cute red mirror to use as my rear-view mirror, if you will, so I can keep my eye on Josh playing behind me, as well as watch TV when he is asleep. You can see him playing his motorcycle game through the mirror. ;-)

Since this is "Alison's" little space, I have all the things that make my heart smile. A picture of my family, my race medals, and special gifts from friends. I love this spot in our house. I just wish I could be in it more often.

When Josh isn't in the room playing while I work on craft projects, he can be found here. In the tiny cubby under the desk. It's really safe, as this is where we keep all our computer wires and modems. You can see a left over sippy cup (let's hope it was water and not milk) and bowl of snacks from the last time he made himself home in there. Seriously, he will sit in there and play his leapster for hours if I let him. But, CPS would probably not like that very much.

My last little project was a clock I made for my craft area. I found this basic and boring clock at Target. After sacrificing a few finger nails, I was able to disassemble it and recreate it into this...

It is a little loud, both in design and sound. If you purchase one of these clocks, don't put it in a bedroom. There is a reason they only cost $4. But, it was a fun project to do for a playroom/craft room.


That's all I have for now.
Stay tuned for some fun family times we've had the past few weeks. I am hoping my energy level will continue to rise as the weeks progress. This tiny baby is sucking the life out of me, but I'm trying to stay afloat.

3 comments:

Michelle {bsktgirl} said...

okay, friend...
I *love* the entry/laundry room!The colors are just like my craft studio...do they not just make you happy inside? I completely get you on the light fixture, btw.

Cute idea for MOPS shirts...haha!

I want to craft with you in your new space! Is that desk everything you dreamed of and more? Pure awesomeness!

Miss you LOTS!

Phil said...

oh man. I'm exhausted just reading that. I think we used that clock detail on the Barnes. I hope you don't mind if I lifted that.

Mama Bear said...

I bow to your craftiness.