Our annual Labor Day trip to Port Aransas with our college buddies was a huge success again this year! We had 50 Longhorns along for the 4 day long wild ride along the sea. We greatly missed a few regulars that were birthing and/or caring for newborns. However, we had fun with the new families that joined us this year. Hang on to your straw hats, ladies and gentleman... there's a lot to see.
Josh and I started our journey southbound solo in Chris' truck. Me driving Chris' truck is, in itself, an adventure. But, we made it to Austin without trouble and got to squeeze in a little "Pickles time" before she headed out of town on a business trip. We also got to meet sweet Adalyn Hampton for the first time. She told me she was sad to not go on the beach trip with us, but her mom was still sleepy from 9 months of pregnancy and labor. Then, after Thundercloud for lunch AND dinner, we headed over to Matthew Jones' house to spend the night. Josh was confused why we were at Matthew's house when Matthew was already at the beach, but as soon as I told him he was going to spend the night in Matthew's super awesome race car room, he got over the fact his buddy was MIA. I'm thinking Tricia will need to rent out her house to us for our next vacation.

The next morning, Josh and I headed out early to fill our bellies with some pancakes the size of our heads. Okay, maybe a little bigger than our heads. Filled with Kirbey Cakes, we were ready for our journey to the coast.
As soon as we got to the condo, Josh and Matt were in full play-mode. It was so fun watching the two of them play together. The bunk bed room was by far their favorite spot. Once Mason arrived, the fun really began. These three boys could play for hours, and did just that. Josh is the youngest by a year, but he fit in just fine. He LOVES hanging with the older crowd. Matt taught Josh how to play Scrabble, and Josh taught Matt how to sing the Veggie Tales song from start to finish. Personalities form at such a young age.
Chris and most of the other Longhorn beach-goers arrived later that night. Friday was our first visit down to the beach. Josh had tons of fun chasing the birds. This year, Josh was not afraid of the waves AT ALL. Every year, he gets a little more daring and I go a little more gray.

If only we had a beach-approved TV for the group kid-shot the next morning. This is typically a challenging picture, but I think this year we topped the charts with screaming kids.
Yikes.
Our roomies made this one of the most wonderful beach trips in memory. Or maybe it's because my child is out of diapers, sleeps through the night, dresses himself, swims, and plays indepenantely. Either way, it was a fabulous trip.

He followed his crush everywhere. He even followed her to the beach "time- out chair." She promptly directed him away. From our view, it looked like Susan Margaret told Josh her father would get mad if he saw her with Josh. At that point, Josh quickly turned and gave her Dad a questionable look of disgust or fear. If they were any older, I am sure there would have been talk of some sort of restraining order. But for now, we all think it is super cute. Including Susan Margaret's dad.
Here are
Josh and Matt getting their "game faces" on for the annual toddler races.
Josh did great this year. He was focused. He was determined. He was stealth-like. He was not taken down by a cute blond in pigtails and a cheerleading outfit like in past years. He got THIRD place. We were so proud of him.
Post- beach always means a dip in the condo pool. Josh was a rock star swimmer this year. It was great to be able to watch him swim around and play with the kids. I had several moments of "when did he get so big???" during this trip.



One morning, Chris and I stole Matthew Jones ( I have to call him by his complete name because that is how Josh addresses him. Like it is one word, "Matthewjones"). We took the boys into town for an "adventure." Our adventure ended us in a shark's mouth and with new tattoos for all four of us. Matthewjones' parents were so happy with us. Don't you love how they are flexing their guns for the picture. We didn't have to encourage them to do this. I guess all boys are born with enough testosterone to know instinctively you must flex your muscles when skull and bones tattoos are present on your skin.
Please note Chris' FAKE tattoo. I actually had people ask me if it was real. Really???? Do I seem like a wife that would allow such behavior???
I mean, a tattoo of Tweety Bird, yes. But, a dragon??? No way.
The big boys had tons of fun as well. There was a lot of beer-drinking, football-talking, and "standing -arounding," going on. Clearly, they also enjoyed the rib grill-out.
For our annual girl's night, we threw Jennie and Kari a little baby shower. It was fun to celebrate these babies that will be making their beach-trip debut next year.
It was "that" kind of shower. Which eventually led to a hilarious game of Taboo. What a fun memory.

We took our sweet time making our way home on Monday. We stopped by Granee and Pa's new home, which is adorable and just perfect! I am so happy for them! Josh was happy to see his race car and helped Pa drive it around the property.
We were driving through Marble Falls right at sunset and HAD to stop and eat dinner at a restaurant on the lake. It was a delightful dinner to end a delightful weekend at the beach. I am so sad it's over, but excited for our next family adventure to Ireland!
Looking forward to Port A 2011 and all the memories it has in store!






3 comments:
So awesome! I'm exhausted reading it and seeing what you guys were up to. Top two favorites: #1 The toddler group photo with the shot of the kid on the left throwing the double hook em' with such intensity - he clearly knows football season is here! #2 Josh and Matthewjones with their new tats. So Awesome! So awesome!
Such a great trip! Josh is seriously going to have trouble keeping up with all his ladies...
Loved the post! One day I wanna make a blog book too, and I'm going to need to "slurp" some of your posts to make up for what a slacker blogger I am!:)
Post a Comment